why "make install" now takes longer and what you can do about it

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:48:04 GMT 2007

Hi,

> This way they get the correct libraries when they are used by an
> executable which is executed from the build tree.

Is there an option to avoid using RPATH completely?

The use case I have in mind is switching between qt-copy and the
latest Qt 4.4 snapshots when running applications - in which case I
would like to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to determine which Qt libraries are
picked up.

At the moment I do this by corrupting the hardcoded path string inside
the binary so that the linker falls back to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Regards,
Robert.