[RFC] Use QFileSystemWatcher as another method for KDirWatch?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Dec 5 21:46:14 GMT 2007

On 05.12.07 20:24:27, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using kdirwatch on windows is very cpu consuming (kded sometimes use 40% cpu on my duron 1300). Therefore I want to implement QFileSystemWatcher as an optional method. Is there a reason why this should not work? Should it be an optional or a hard dependency?
> >
> Ok, here the patch.
>
> I enabled it only for windows to not get in trouble with 4.0.0. There's
> a bug (task-tracker id 170021) which prevents watching directories on a
> fat32 partition. It's fixed in 4.4 but it would be nice when this patch
> could be applied to qt-copy.

Does this support all features of KDirWatch? Last time I checked
QFSWatcher had some limitations.

And if it supports all features, I think KDirWatch could simply drop its
kqueue and inotify implementations and use QFSWatcher for that as well.
Which would mean using QFSWatcher as default on Win32 and wherever
kqueue is used (I think BSD) and using FAM on linux or falling back to
QFSWatcher if fam doesn't work/is not installed.

Andreas

--
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.