Installed sounds

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 27 17:13:05 BST 2007

On Monday 27 August 2007 04:56:31 Jaison Lee wrote:
> In kdebase/runtime/kcontrol/knotify/sounds there are different sounds
> with the same name, although they have different extensions. For
> example KDE_Dialog_Disappear.ogg and KDE_Dialog_Disappear.wav. Does
> anyone know if this is unintentional duplication or intended to allow
> for user choice? Assuming the latter, I think using '1' and '2' is
> better than differing file extensions, plus the files could be
> converted to ogg.

Please make sure the Ogg Vorbis file is the new one. And remove WAV file.

If the WAV is the new one, get rid of the old Vorbis file (rename, remove,
move to another dir, whatever) and encode the WAV into Ogg Vorbis.

The WAV files in kdebase now account for 1.8 MB. Bzip2 compression gives 1.4
MB.

Compressing at Quality 8 gives 490 kB. Compressed with bzip2 that's 370 kB in
the final packages.

The original WAVs or FLAC should be kept in another place.

For reference: the total uncompressed size of kdebase is 100 MB. Compressed,
it's 7 MB. The WAVs are 1.8% of the uncompressed size, but take up 20% of the
tarball.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358