Installed sounds

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Mon Aug 27 16:16:34 BST 2007

On 8/27/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> new

> sounds.
> but

> rest,
> > >
> > > No actually it doesn't. This conversation wasn't talking about those,
> > > but thank you for making it seem as though it was. FWIW, I think most
> > > old wallpapers should be kept, icons unfortunately not due to sheer
> > > size, and I can't speak for "everything rest" because I don't feel
> > > like putting words in your mouth as you seem to wish to do so for me.
> >
> > I dont. So we should just keep on hading stuf in...??? We made a contest
> and
> > kde 4 will have some of the best walppaers i have hever seen, and you
> want to
> > put in the midle of them pices of work that look plain old and used....?
>
> Yes, why not. People like those olds, ever thought about that? I don't
> get why everything that has been developed in the last years has to be
> removed just because a handful of artists say its outdated. After all
> we're still doing it for the users and the people that like the old
> stuff are users as well.

Of course they do. Yet you must agree that SOME of these wallpapers are
really 1995-ish things which really nobody likes. Moving some of them to the
Get Hot New Stuff system (that's what it's for, after all) makes the new
stuff easier to find. How would you feel if you worked hard on creating
something great and beautiful, and it's put on equal foot with and almost
impossible to find between huge amounts of older stuff, ranging in quality
between decent (even though old) and really really (REALLY!) old and
outdated...

Sure make the new shiny stuff the default, but
> let the users that want it have their beloved "ancient" thing easily,
> without hunting it down on kde-looks or somewhere else.

Get hot new stuff rules, it's not that hard. Besides, I hope he meant not
removing ALL old wallpapers and stuff (some are indeed nice) but just
weeding out the worst, putting those on get-hot-new-stuff...

Andreas

> > > How about we make a deal? When there are more than a grand total of 16
> > > seemingly random Oxygen sounds that aren't even being installed right
> > > now, then we can revisit things, but until then let's stop trying to
> > > remove currently working alternatives.
> >
> > Want me to upload them right now???
> > I judge a desktop in alll its aspects and the quality and coerency of
> its
> > options is one of them.
>
> Sure, but if some users have their own coherent themeing for their
> desktop let them have it. You can't force somebody to find your art
> cool, nice, beautiful,.. by removing the stuff he wants to look
> at/listen to.

let's try to find a middle ground here. Some things are worth keeping,
others need to be ported anyway, and some most ppl would agree are best off
on kde-look.org, right? Pinheiro, being an Artist, probably wants to go
radical. Yet he's a smart guy, and he didn't suggest to only ship Oxygen
stuff, did he? (I'm too busy to check that, and even if he did - we have a
dutch saying: "the soup never gets eaten as hot as it is served").

Let's cut him some slack, ask him friendly what he wants to remove (maybe a
detailed blog about it, P?) and not start panicking yet.

Andreas

> --
> You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.

that one rules.

grtz and love

Jos