Running KDE 4 apps from KDE 3 session

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Wed Aug 15 23:19:50 BST 2007

Is it still possible to run KDE 4 apps from inside a KDE 3 session? Since
updating kdelibs this week, I get error messages like

QCoreApplication::arguments: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
[kalarm (20127)] KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server

I presume this is probably the same issue as was the subject of the
"kdeinit launching in KApplication" thread, but I never saw any way
mentioned of dealing with the new setup, except perhaps to call
KToolInvocation::klauncher(). I tried this in main() and in the KApp
constructor, but it doesn't help.

My machine isn't capable of supporting multiple KDE sessions at a time (my
wife soaks up all the spare capacity with a second session), so it's not
really feasible in general for me to run a separate KDE 4 session for
testing. So I can't really do much very necessary testing for KDE 4.0
unless I can set things up inside a KDE 3 session.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.