FW: [REMINDER] Upcoming KDE 4.0 Milestones + Nepomuk

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 20:16:21 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007, David Faure wrote:
> Binary incompatible doesn't mean source incompatible though. If the API
> isn't mature enough, then even source compatibility might be an issue.

it is not unusual for apps shipped with kde to only compile with the same (or
newer) version of kdelibs. so assuming we make it an "internal" library, the
problem only exists for compiling 4.0 apps using nepomuk against 4.1+.

that said, we have quite some time before we get to betas. if we can hammer on
it now, e.g. with the SoC, perhaps it could be proven as good or not good. we
could always put it in kdelibs as a conditional compile, and completely
disable it during the betas if it turns out to not be proven enough or to be
proven in need of drastic work.

i also think that holding nepomuk to the same freeze schedule and standards as
kdecore, kdeui, kio may be unrealistic at any point. by delaying to 4.1 my
concern is that all we'll achieve is delaying it's maturity and, due to the
likeliehood of low application uptake (see my reply to dirk for more on that
if you wish/need it) the odds are high that the version in 4.1 wouldn't be
much more proven than a version in 4.0.

*shrug*

--
Aaron J. Seigo