[Kde-soc-mentor] Fwd: KOrganizer

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Tue Apr 10 09:31:47 BST 2007

Am Freitag, 6. April 2007 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> I have to say that I don't share the assessment that Exchange support is
> the most important missing feature for business adoption of KOrganizer.

Well, that depends on what you call "business adoption". If you are thinking
about a whole company switching to KDE (or Linux in general), then I totally
agree that Exchange doesn't really play a role, as that company can also
introduce a new groupware server during the migration.[1]

However, that's not what I meant with "business user" (rather than business
adoption). I'm mainly thinking about individuals who want to use KDE in their
company, but can't because their company employs an exchange server. So their
only choice is either to use the web-frontend entirely or to use Evolution.
Both are suboptimal choices ;-)

I recently applied to a few consulting companies, and each of them employs an
Exchange server. From what I learnt, Exchange is really ubiquituous in most
companies, so we leave a lot of people out in the cold. So as soon as I take
up such a job offer (I decided to stay at university for the time being,
btw), I can no longer user KOrganizer...

Judging from the requests that we get (although we have several mails in the
mailing list archives that we no longer support Exchange due to time
constraints), Exchange support IS the most-requested missing feature in
KOrganizer.

The other issue is that we can't wait until someone pays for Exchange support,
as the companies that employ Exchange servers, are usually not out to switch
to Linux and need Exchange support, but rather tolerate individual users to
use KDE on their machines. However, they won't support these users, who are
then entirely dependent on the level of Exchange support that we provide.
In this case, also your argument that KDE should be out to support one server
perfectly (which you think should be Kolab) and no other servers, only hurts
the users and thus also ourselves.

We are simply not in a position to demand from companies to switch their
groupware server (which has probably cost them a lot of money for consulting
and licensing already), just because a few users want to use KDE. To be
realistic, the majority will still use Windows and that won't change that
soon. Can we really permanently ignore this situation?

> Additionally I don't think that addressing needs of business users is the
> primary target of the Summer of Code.

Okay, let's call them "individual users which need exchange support due to
their job". Aren't they a primary target of KDE? If so, they are also a
primary target of the SoC.

Cheers,
Reinhold

[1] Well, I also had one or two reports that a company switched to Gnome
rather than KDE, simply because evolution has exchange support. So even in
that case, lack of Exchange support is already hurting us. Maybe not hurting
badly, but still hindering us.

email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/