Does local time zone need a name?

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Mon Apr 2 15:22:44 BST 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007 14:54, David Jarvie wrote:
> There has been a thread on kde-core-devel debating whether the local time
> zone name needs to be identified. Because of the title of the thread, "KDED
> time zone module", some people may have ignored it.
>
> The thread has ended up as a debate between myself and Thiago about whether
> or not it is necessary to know the name of the local time zone. I have
> argued that it is necessary for display to the user (in time zone selection
> combo boxes at least), and for writing to iCalendar (and probably other
> data also). Thiago argues that simply calling it "local zone" (or similar)
> is sufficient, the benefit being to avoid what can in some circumstances be
> a costly initialisation process to identify it. For details, see the thread
> referred to, particularly from
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117534844924723&w=2 onwards.
>
> I'd appreciate it if some KDE PIM people, and others, could give their
> views so that it isn't a debate between just two people.

I'd prefer to see the name of the time zone that I'm in. To me, it's better
presentation of information to say that I'm in the Pacific time zone rather
than "Local Zone" or some other such thing. WTH is "Local Zone" supposed to
mean anyways? It's too context dependant, IMO. I don't want to keep track of
what time zone I'm in. The computer is supposed to do that for me.
--
Matt