objections to disallowing in-source builds in all KDE modules ?

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:03:51 BST 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 21:30, George Staikos wrote:
>   While I think it's the technically nice thing to do, I also think that it
> again raises the barrier to KDE development.  I think the majority of
> software builds in-source, at least by default, and that people are used to
> this.  It's something to think about.
My 2 rubles:

I was an in-source addict some time ago :).
But now when I started regularly building of kde modules I became used to
out-of-source builds instead. And I found them very convenient.
IMO it is nice to have object files in separate directories: it keeps source
tree clean (which is essential for me as I run "tar -xzf
kde{libs,base,games}...." quite often) and it turns "delete all & prepare for
rebuild" process to a simple "rm -rf builddir".

Well, in fact everyone knows about these goddies, yeah?
So I am writing this just to tell that people who are used to in-source build
will probably find out-of-source-builds to be cooler. After some practising
maybe ;).

Cheers, Dmitry.