Adding ThreadWeaver libraries to kdelibs

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Sep 6 04:03:36 BST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 09:50, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 14:35, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I think ThreadWeaver is ready for prime time. If you haven't followed it:
> > ThreadWeaver is a job queue that had advanced capabilities for automatic
> > scheduling of application operations. As far as I know, kdevelop, koffice
> > and kdepim are using it or plan to use it as soon as it is commonly
> > available.
> >
> > ThreadWeaver is developed in kdenonbeta at the moment, and usually
> > snapshot and point-released when it reaches a certain new useful state.
> > It is tested, known to be stable, and comes with a set of unit tests.
> >
> > I would like to suggest to add the two main libraries - the Weaver
> > library that contains the job queue and surrounding classes, and the
> > WeaverGui library that holds everything that depends on QtGui, and the
> > accompanying unit tests, into kdelibs. I guess it will be best to import
> > the snapshot point releases into kdelibs, to maintain a state where
> > everything works and is tested, and update as needed. I will take care of
> > the updating.
> >
> > As for the rest, I would like to move it to kdesdk. Unstable versions
> > should be kept and tagged and merged as needed.
> >
> > Please let me know what you think about it.
> >
> > Take care,
> > --Mirko.
>
> I would argue that development of threadweaver needs to occur in kdelibs
> rather than merging snapshot point releases into it. Do you really want to
> continuously maintain two separate code branches and keep the code between
> them in sync?

Yes, I would second that, otherwise it would be difficult to develop and test
any new features or bugfixes before they were merged into the kdelibs
version.  Also, I wonder if it would be possible to change the CapsStyle of
filenames and directories to a lowercase style, for consistency with the rest
of kdelibs.

Other than that, I think this will be a valuable contribution for kdelibs.

Cheers,
Hamish.