Kicker crash with compiz

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu May 25 18:39:57 BST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 20:10, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Isn't it so, that now I cannot reproduce? I will run kicker in
> valgrind as soon as it crashes, I promise.

I was too fast. Kicker does not crash in valgrind, this is the simple
truth. But it crashes in real life. The full log is attached. First
there is a crash without valgrind (you can see those X errors), later
inside  valgrind. There the interesting part starts from the lot of
"empty" lines:

andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris>
andris at stein:/data/home/andris> ==9679==
==9679== Invalid read of size 8
=

It seems that QXEmbed is indeed deleted and used later. My suspicion is:
QXEmbed line 1056:
emit embeddedWindowDestroyed();

This triggers SystemTrayApplet::updateTrayWindows() which deletes an
object (and a QXEmbed object as well!). From this line down in QXEmbed
the object does not exist anymore so sooner or later kicker will crash.
Maybe using deleteLater instead of "delete *emb;" in
SystemTrayApplet::updateTrayWindows() is enough. Let's try it...
Yeah, I cannot reproduce anymore.
Fix attached. I don't claim it fixes all the bugs listed in the report,
but if you think it is, I commit and close the report (just to get some
fame). ;-)

Andras