[RFC] Solid and use of namespaces

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun May 21 00:27:27 BST 2006

Hello list,

As some of you already know, I'm working on Solid [S], and the current classes
are in their own namespace (Solid).

The current code is the most "neutral" part, it handles the hardware
discovery. I'm planning to add more specialized classes to handle specific
tasks, namely network and power management.

Since my current idea is to put those more specialized classes in their own
subnamespaces, I'm posting here to be sure the solution I'll choose regarding
namespaces won't get in the way of application developers.

By using nesting, I will introduce Solid::Network and Solid::Power namespaces.
It then raises some questions regarding the classes naming. For example, I'll
have a "manager" class regarding power management, I can basically name it:
1) Solid::Power::Manager, which leads to the fact that you can't do "using
namespace Solid::Power", "Manager" would become a too general name
2) Solid::Power::PowerManager, which obviously introduces naming redundancy,
but you could do "using namespace Solid::Power".

Opinions are welcome, in particular I'd like to have reactions regarding:
1) The use of those nested namespaces, good or bad? better keep a flat
organization (everything in a Solid namespace)? Currently I dislike this
idea, but well nothing is set in stone yet, so if good arguments are provided
I can change my mind.
2) The names of the nested namespaces? If I go this way, do the
names "Network" and "Power" convey enough information?
3) Class naming in those namespaces? for example should I go for
Power::Manager or Power::PowerManager? That's the main reason why I'm asking
for comments, it'll have an impact on the ease of use of those classes.
4) Anything I could have missed.

Regards.

[S] http://solid.kde.org
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."