DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Mar 8 13:08:32 GMT 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 21:38, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 05 March 2006 11:19, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >  QPL and Artistic are not GPL-compatible, so we start again the license
> >  discussion, as with CPL.
>
> as understand it: this is fine for applications, however, that are linking
> to our LGPL'd libs or Qt under the QPL. it's a bit different with the CPL
> which was about a library under that license that applications would then
> link to.

But Qt under QPL is X11 only. For Mac and Windows it is GPL only, as far as I
understand, where as Qt under X11 allows both choice. (of course again, not
considering the professionla versions.)

So I keep thinking that KDE4 will have to put some libraries and applications
away from the main modules to be cleanly compatible to a GPL Qt.

> >  So no new KDE4 application should use such licenses (or any other
> >  non-GPL-compatible license).
>
> it should be discouraged, i think, simply from the license proliferation
> perspective.

Have a nice day!