DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Mar 5 18:42:08 GMT 2006

Frans Englich wrote:
>On Sunday 05 March 2006 13:27, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>* Mention that people should avoid C style casts. Especially in headers
> but also in implementation. From my knowledge: C++ style casts are
> stricter and therefore gives the compiler better options for statically
> detecting errors, and in some cases invalid casts are generated by
> C-style casts.

Adding more:

* headers must compile with QT_NO_ASCII_CAST

>* Use the std namespace instead of the default. That is, include
> <iostream> instead of <iostream.h> since the latter is deprecated.
> (Good advice? No?) See:
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/coding-standards.html#faq-27.4

This is not a simple guideline. This is a requirement.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.