Common Public License (CPL)

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Mar 3 19:08:59 GMT 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 16:39, George Kraft wrote:
> This past January 10th I released IBM TTS SDK on sourceforge.net that
> open sourced eci.h and a stub library (no runtime) for GNU/Linux
> distributions and applications to build with.
>
> Currently, if a blind user purchases the IBM TTS Runtime and installs
> it, then applications like KTTS, gnome-speech, speech dispatcher, and
> emacspeak won't find it because they were not originally compiled with
> it; however, the SDK is intended to resolve that by providing a header
> file and dummy library for the developers/distributors to compile with
> it.  The alternative is that blind end-users would need to recompile
> portions of their desktop.
>

> The reason that I am writing is that I am getting some resistance
> regarding SDK's CPL license.
> It is my understanding that CPL is similar
> to LGPL in that it is not "viral" like GPL.  Applications should be able
> to use a CPL header file and link to a CPL stub library and be fine.

I am not a license expert but looking at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
I see problems, as the CPL license is described as not being compatible with
GPL (assuming that we are talking about the same CPL license).

However many applications in KDE are GPL, also Qt is GPL (without any free
alternative license for some platforms).

> If KDE could add CPL to the license list, then KTTS and other
> accessibility applications could take advantage of SDK to better enable
> the desktop.
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-accessibility&m=113745813727551&w=2

Have a nice day!