API docs; functional or pretty?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jun 22 20:08:22 BST 2006

On Thursday 22 June 2006 20:40, Frans Englich wrote:
> > What can we do with the problem Adriaan put forth that as long as the
> > docs don't look and behave like the kde - site (which IMO makes them
> > unusable) we can't have them on developer.kde.org?
>
> I vaguely recall having bounced DKO with Adriaan in private mail. I
> have this idea of fully integrating all documentation concerning KDE,
> API documentation, possibly user manuals, guidelines(HIG, HOWTOs, etc),
> into the strongest and common denominator: Docbook.

Docbook is a storage format and so your answer has little to do with my
above question ;)

> By having everything in Docbook, we can link across everything(say,
> from the HIG to a particular enum in a class), index across everything,
> and export to whatever format you like, etc, etc. Of course,
> considering I'm an XML geek, I'm having trouble breathing while
> describing that.

Read the (xml) tags files doxygen creates[1], it allows you to do all that
while avoiding a conversion to docbook only to convert from docbook to a
readable format later on again.

1) http://www.koffice.org/developer/apidocs/libs-flake/libs_flake_TAGS
--
Thomas Zander