tab stop size

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Jul 24 17:51:54 BST 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 11:08:59AM +0100, David Jarvie wrote:
> I think that more important in kdelibs is to abolish tabs altogether
> in favour of spaces, as is proposed in the coding style policy. There
> will always be people (particularly people new to KDE who are only
> browsing) who have their tab stops set differently from whatever is
> ordained for kdelibs, and having a mixture of tabs and spaces is a
> recipe for a viewing mess.

of course that wouldn't be the slightest problem, if The Only True
Tabbing Style (TM) (which is completely unsusceptible to tab size) was
used, but after my experience with kdm i don't seriously expect anybody
to understand or let alone care for it. a few other application teams
will understand what i'm talking about ...

but that's totally irrelevant to the discussion. i'm for applying the qt
style verbatim (to everything that is not a bigger subproject with (a)
dedicated maintainer(s) who doesn't want it), and even mass reindenting
everything (i simply don't believe the situation will get any better if
we don't do it now for good) - it should be possible to make svn blame
ignore whitespace-only changes (hey, i said that something like two or
three years ago when we were starting to discuss svn seriously - why
didn't anybody step up? *g*).