New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

Florian Graessle holehan at gmx.de
Thu Jul 13 16:01:41 BST 2006

Thomas Zander wrote:
> What confuses me is that the styleguide has said for years: [1]
>
> * Single clicking on the systray icon will show/hide the main interface of
> the application.
> * Right clicking will show a popup menu with at least a quit and a
> configure option.
>
> The above means (I only have kmix installed, so correct me if I'm wrong)
> that those applications are not honoring the left click rule and you need
> a middle-click to do what the styleguide says should be default anyway.

Well, actually kmix is honoring the "left click rule". If you read the
full text in both the new and the old HIG it says "Single clicking on
the systray icon will show/hide the main interface of the application.
This can mean that an extra window will open or that a menu opens where
the normal functionality of the application is present. [addition to the
new HIG:] The first single click will show the main window or menu, the
second click will hide the main window or menu."

The normal functionality of kmix definitely is about adjusting the main
volume - which is shown/hidden inside a menu using the left mouse button.

> 1) both in the old
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/systray.html
> and the new HIG:
> http://wiki.openusability.org/wiki_ou/index.php/Desktop_Integration:System_Tray