New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Jul 13 09:06:19 BST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 13. Juli 2006 05:28 schrieb Jaison Lee:
> > 1) ask trolltech to add MMB support even though it's not portable
> > 2) declare that MMB is not supported in the tray. period.
> > 3) #2 plus decide that we're moving to a new system for these things
> > anyways which makes more sense than a system tray and if you want fancy
> > things like middle clicks that's the way to go.
> >
> > there is no "keep our own implementation" in the list above because i
> > truly, truly hope that people don't decide to keep our own entire systray
> > implementation just because of MMB when an xdg-compatible solution (which
> > ksystemtray isn't right now) already exists in qt.
>
> #1 or #4 (the keep our own thing) if that doesn't work out.
>
> I look forward to having KDE apps available to people running other
> OSes, but I absolutely draw the line at removing existing, functional
> features from my own desktop just because those other OSes are
> crippled or have only recently realized that mice should have more
> than one button. If I thought Windows or Mac were acceptable
> alternatives I'd be USING them.

I can understand the argument in general, but I would _never_ clicked with the
middle mouse button on a systray icon. And kmix's middle mouse action is just
what left click->mixer does anyway - so we can _very_ easily live without it.

And while kmix might not be interested in being ported to OSX, most of the
other apps in this thread may. So it makes sense to me to take that pill.

Greetings, Stephan