kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jan 27 22:36:30 GMT 2006

Hi,

On Friday 27 January 2006 23:08, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > swap back in when not used for some time (on windows). KDevelop OTOH is
> > usable on a PIII 450 MHz and 256 MB RAM.
>
> And vi on a P90 75MHz and 16MB RAM, but it doesn't do half of what kdevelop
> does. Please, this is an old and tired song which is replayed for each new
> level of features in an editor. Using something like Eclipse on a 512MB
> machine is pointless, that doesn't make Eclipse any less efficient for
> development.

I know that Eclipse does a lot and that these feature simply require some
memory, but on a box with 512 MB RAM you can do a lot of sophisticated tasks,
like professional image/audio/video editing. We are talking about text files
here.

Actually you can't tell anyone: "you can't use this IDE with less than 1 GB of
RAM".

Bye
Alex