kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Stefan Gehn mETz81 at web.de
Thu Jan 26 19:30:47 GMT 2006

Moin,

Am Donnerstag, 26. Januar 2006 11:59 schrieb Jakob Petsovits:
> On Thursday, 26. January 2006 06:10, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > Great. Though I think what bothered me was not as much the number of
> > things (though having dozens of slide out tabs on all borders of the
> > screen is a bit too much), but the feel of having lots of little plugins
> > that don't really interact.
>
> Maybe KDevelop should go the way Kate does by disabling most plugins by
> default instead of enabling them?

Yes, that would be a good start.
I as a kdevelop-newbie were mostly scared away by all the bars and
menu-entries that simply don't seem to do anything or which I don't need for
my project. I'm not exactly sure why I don't have the same feeling for
msvc2005 but imho it seems to be less cluttered. Maybe I have to run both
concurrently to come up with helpful details on why kdevelop "feels wrong"
for me.

> Apart from that, when I use Kate instead of KDevelop it is because of
> project management overhead. KDevelop needs a "pseudo build manager" plugin
> that doesn't build or manage anything but just combines editing features
> from Kate with code completion, Apidox, class wizard etc. features from
> KDevelop.

Usually I don't need project-management either. On windows I'm using msvc2005
just to run qmake and nmake, I'm writing the .pro files myself.

Btw, I just looked at kdevelop few hours ago and I would do the same there
although it has qmake-support because that support did not even understand
the includes I use in my project-files.

> Also, renaming of files in automake or other build managers must become
> easier (including updated project files and correct rebuilding without
> hassles).

Something that I love Eclipse for, it rocks when it comes to refactoring.
Sadly this is only true when used for Java, otherwise I would have adopted it
for C++-development too.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz