KPasswordDialog / KPasswordEdit

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sun Jan 15 08:52:33 GMT 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 03:22, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Sunday 15 January 2006 18:17 pm, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> I don't follow you. The way QCA does it (actually the way Botan does it, we
> just copied it) is to mmap a temporary file. You have to zero the file
> afterwards of course, but pages that need to be swapped out won't be put on
> the swap space / swap partition - they will be put on the file.

And the Linux kernel even has support for mmap()'ed regions without any file
backing whatsoever, using the MAP_ANONYMOUS flag (supported since Linux 2.4).

Much as I hate platform-specific code, perhaps it would be nice to take
advantage of that little bit of extra security (in conjuction with mlock(),
of course).

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne