RPATH for installed binaries ?

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 19:15:34 GMT 2006

On Sunday, 19. February 2006 19:49, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> >Because it has numerous problems and implications. And even if you put
> > all that aside, it makes resolving of dynamic libraries slower.
> Can you tell me what those problems are?

For example they work inconsistently. They only apply to shared lib loading,
not to loading via dlopen().

> And do they affect RUNPATH too (not RPATH)?

Since you mentioned RUNPATH, perhaps you should elaborate on the
differences :)  AFAIK RUNPATH is the successor of RPATH, but has identical
semantics.

> Do you have numbers for the slowing down? I'm not disputing that it
> happens, I just wonder how much it can impact.

No, feel free to do them yourself. The issue is that the ld.so.conf library
cache is entirely circumvented, and for libs that are not in the rpath the
ld.so falls back to statting around to see where the lib could come from.

--
Dirk//\