Color manipulation functions in kdelibs?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 14 16:56:29 GMT 2006

I'm going to risk leaving this on the list "for the record", to allow
for other people to voice opinions, and because it still has the
potential to impact kdelibs. However, if anyone would like to direct me
at a different venue I would be happy to move this part of the
conversation. (Or, if anyone else would like to reply to said venue,
feel free, but obviously please CC me if you do.)

Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:15, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> What about HLS/HSY in QColor? :-)
>
> Lets do the above before we talk about this.

No, let's not. I still maintain that this question should be addresses
independent of the other issues, which is why I am responding to it
separately.

I would like to know how you can justify HSV support while asserting
that HLS support would be inappropriate (at least that is the impression
I am getting). I can think of exactly *one* benefit of HSV over HLS: the
conversion code is simpler.

HLS is considered by some (many?) to be a truer representation of
perceived color. For a relatively definitive (i.e. not my own NSHO)
statement of this, see Wikipedia's article on HLS color space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_color_space#Comparison_of_HSL_and_HSV.

Also note that HLS is the W3C standard. As such, there is a very real
chance that people are going to want to use it in the future. Is
ignoring it really a wise idea?

Also consider that Windows' standard color picker dialog offers RGB and
HLS color spaces... and not HSV. (And see Wikipedia's list for more
HLS-only examples.)

--
Matthew
What? This signature /again/?