[Scim-devel] Proposal: unified input method/keyboard layout switching support for kde4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 12 17:23:04 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 9:38, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> I'm not sure if portability is important here. Windows and OS X do provide
> an input method framework as well as actual input methods. I think IMBUS is
> much more interesting as platform specific API for the free software
> desktop.

there are two parts to this:

 - the API that applications use to do Cool, Useful and Funky Things
 - the applications that consume the API

so, for instance, if we want KWord to, like MS Word, automagically switch IM
based on locale when started we need a nice, simple x-platform API for it to
call into. on linux/unix i assume we'd concentrate on targeting something
like IMBUS directly, much as Solid pretty well concentrates thus far on
HAL/DBUS. so, that's the first part.

the second part are things like the panel applet and other bits of the IM
interface. these are certainly not needed, as you rightfully note, on
win/mac. they would go into kdebase/workspace and not care too much about
portability outside of x.org/unix world.

we still have the future-proofing issue (hello, aRts!) and ABI concerns (hello
OpenSSL!) but let's assume those are non-issues here for sake of discussion.
we'll still want a useful API that will travel with our applications that are
portable, unless we don't care to add such features to our apps other than IM
specific code.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se