Ctrl+Y shortcut for redo

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 31 22:14:06 BST 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 22:28, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Thursday 31. August 2006 22:12, Thomas Zander wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Reading back, I guess the most obvious solution is missed; both mac and
> > win know about ctrl-shift-z, you say? (which makes a really simple to
> > press triangle here), so all KDE using people can just get used to that
> > on those platforms, right?
>
> I'm less worried about KDE people using Windows than Windows or Mac people
> switching to KDE and not even with the Windows shortcut theme getting
> Ctrl+Y for redo.

ctrl-Y is one of the worst shortcuts (right up with ctrl-h for search and
replace) on Windows or Mac. It's not mnemonic. It's not related to undo by a
long chalk. It's not widely advertised as the primary shortcut for redo.

Before nicking a perfectly good application shortcut, we might first try to
ascertain which proportion of Windows users use ctrl-shift-z and which
proportion use ctrl-y.

And then -- let the Windows people use the Windows keybindings we very
thoughtfully provide for them. Let the Mac people use the Mac keybindings we
provide for _them_. And let the people who started with WordStar, progressed
through WordPerfect and CUA to KDE use a less wasteful and more logical set
of keybindings and allow them the luxury of a spare keybinding for doing
useful work.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi