Patch on ksnapshot

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Aug 30 14:06:48 BST 2006

On Tuesday, 29. August 2006 22:46, Martin Koller wrote:
> come on. You really think its easier to find the print action in some full
> blown image manipulation program than in ksnapshot ?
> Ever used gimp ? ;-) ...

Ever used KolourPaint or Krita?
Both of them feature the standard KDE printing dialog in the standard location
where everyone should expect it, as File->Print...
Both of them even got "Print" as a toolbar button.
(Even if it will probably be removed for Kolourpaint on KDE 4.)

The point is that, while it's certainly easier to have "Print" as a big button
nearby than in your favorite bitmap editor application, we can't keep each
and every button one could possibly use in the main interface.

The question must be "What are the most important, most frequently used
functionalities for a screen capturing application?" and then select the
first n items of your list to be included as big buttons. (And it seems
that n is not greater than 3 for acceptable KSnapshot usability.)
Everything else should be the job of a dedicated bitmap editor.

And it seems that "Open With" is more important to many people than "Print",
and so are "Save As" and "Copy to Clipboard". If you want to keep "Print",
you would be better off to argue why it's more important than one of those.

Regards,
  Jakob