Patch on ksnapshot

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Tue Aug 29 21:37:17 BST 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 20:59, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:27, Martin Koller wrote:
> > But hey, we are talking about a mini application, which has 4 buttons!
>
> count again. there are 6 buttons, one drop down, one spinner and a checkbox
> for a total of 9 active UI elements; 10 if we count the dragability of the
> preview.

I was counting only the ones on the right side of the snapshot, but ok ...

> at the start of the thread the suggestion was to increase it to 5. then
> various other features; my wry suggestion for a menubar was even taken
> seriously by some.

If you don't remove the print and copy to clipboard actions, and put them in
the menubar, fine with me.
I still think that - at least the clipboard one - should stay where it is and
not be hidden in a menubar, as this is a task I mostly use (and therefore
saves 1 click and some mouse move)

> there are already dubious features present in the
> interface, we don't need to make more.

yes. e.g. "include window decoration" ... remove that instead.
(All the others I use. This one never.
And yes: I'm just 1 user, not nearly representing 100% of our user base)

> it's a rather well established phenom that the human mind deals rather
> poorly with over-instrumented interfaces (computer or otherwise)
> particularly when they are meant for occasional use (as opposed to constant
> daily use, where the familiarity induced by such behaviour can afford (and
> even demand) greater complexity)

Yes, that is clear.
But 4 large buttons is not over-instrumented.
Yes, I again count 4, because the lower part of the dialog seems to me
like "additional settings" (they are separated by a horizontal line)

> "interface additions ad infinitum" is one of the primary habits of KDE
> developers that has led to our UIs that "really suck"

I don't want to add a bit here.
I please to not remove 1 button (or 2 if you still think nobody needs the
clipboard button. BTW I do)

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

Computers and Internet gave you freedom.
TCPA would TAKE your FREEDOM!  http://www.againsttcpa.com