800x600 default (Re: [Patch] Add dmask/fmask support into media:/)

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sat Aug 26 23:03:10 BST 2006

On 26.08.2006 11:28, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> >  su  Most desktops (if not all) I see these days don't go smaller than
> > 1024x768.
> Just because it fits in 800x600 in English, doesn't mean it will fit even
> into 1024x768 in a translation...

Well, actually I think that the whole issue is about three things:

1. Minimal resolution supported:
(where supported means that the displayed dialogs look decent and aren't
distorted by lots of scrollbars):
This is certainly a usability issue. My personal impression is that 800x600
should be that minimal distribution for the reasons given already. As in the
other thread already came up we'd need to specify the fontsize in the
preferred dpi resolution (e.g. 96 dpi) as well as some kind of reference
language.

2. Best be viewed with / optimized for:
This should be the (minimal?) resolution that is recommended to work
efficiently with KDE.

3. Accessibility:
Of course it's important that while using very large fonts and other visually
"extreme" settings KDE gets still displayed well - no matter what the display
resolution is.

No matter which of those three topics get addressed, those topics should
mostly have input by the usability people and the accessibility people and
should be specified by them in the HIG and AG as soon as possible (if it
hasn't been done already).

Torsten