[Patch] Add dmask/fmask support into media:/

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Thu Aug 24 20:14:13 BST 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 16:53, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> Perşembe 24 Ağustos 2006 19:40 tarihinde, Aaron J. Seigo şunları yazmıştı:
> > b) we don't use numeric permissions/masks elsewhere in our UIs (instead
> > we provide checkboxes, dropdown choices, etc...), and that's something we
> > ought to continue
>
> Got it.
>
> > c) there are a lot of widgets vertically stacked there. i wonder how
> > close we are to it not fitting on 800x600 with a 46px panel.
>
> Maybe adding these into an "advanced settings" dialog or something like
> helps? I'll try this when have some time. Thanks for your comments.

No, I don't think one should start there.

The first part of implementing any feature is motivating why it is needed.
Assuming a feature is needed is like saying that "X * Y = 4" without defining
X and Y.

It's not about finding one reason, it's about crossing the 80/20 rule. This
means answering questions like:

* Define "users" in this context
* Why users knows what the feature do
* Why users would like to change it
* Why the default doesn't work
* What the drawbacks are
* What the advantages are
* Claim why the advantages outrun the drawbacks

Cheers,

		Frans