KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Aug 21 11:55:08 BST 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 11:04, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 10:22, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Also using ktradertest for MIME type actions as we do now is more a hack
> > than anything else, I'd like to see that replaced for KDE4 with something
> > mor obvious :)
>
> What do you need exactly in terms of command-line mimetype-related tool?
> (Is the above about the default associated app, or about the rmb-actions?)

xdg-mime currently uses kfile to determine a file's MIME type and ktradertest
to query the default application for a given MIME type (or a combination to
get the default handler for a file)

Nice additions would be to query the MIME type for a given URI, make allow to
change the priority of handlers or to set a new default handler.

I am not sure if all those things are described at the Portland MIME task, but
those I can remember.

ktradertest is actually very good feature wise, however it is a little bit to
complex, i.e. requires to know a lot about KTrader and queries to make it
work.

In any case, IMHO the most important issue about commandline tools is the
output formatting, An output nicley formatted for human consumption is often
difficult to re-use in scripts

Cheers,
Kevin

--