drkonqi adjustments - Better Crash Handler for KDE 4 ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Aug 19 17:40:40 BST 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 10:54, Adrien Guillon wrote:
> 1)  An option send to the KDE bug list, and BCC to another address (perhaps
> our internal bug tracking system).
>
> 2)  An option to override the bugaddress command line argument, and force
> sending to a specified address regardless of how drkonqi is called (useful
> for sysadmins and support teams to know what is happening). (I can patch
> this one myself, reading a configuration entry from the rc file)

as nicolas pointed out, this will need support in kaboutdata as well. the
easiest thing i can think of is to have a debug settings group in the config
files that kaboutdata reads when the debug address is set. if there is a
value it overrides (or augments, in the case of bcc) the address the
application hardcodes.

> 3)  Perhaps we can have a 'hook' that will allow us to escape to a shell
> script or other application so that we can format the resultant bug report
> as we wish... we might want to include some information from the users'
> home directory, or other debugging output.

currently there is the option to copy or save IIRC in drkonqi ... given a
proper configuration variable, perhaps "save" could actually pipe the
contents through a script before saving it to disk. should be fairly
straightforward to do.

> kontact crashes, then set debugging output for the next run of kontact"...

debug is often turned off at compile time, so this may not be so useful to
everyone. if there is debug support, though, then that would mean writing the
same sorts of values that `kdebugdialog --fullmode` gets you.

if you have any questions as you proceed, please don't hesitate to sask =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness