Introducing LikeBack - Quick Feedback from Beta-Testers

slaout at linux62.org slaout at linux62.org
Fri Aug 18 11:42:31 BST 2006

Hi,

Note: I'm replying to emails posted on kde-usability but forward this
message to kde-core-devel people too because it's useful for both
mailing-lists.

So, after having "compiled" all the comments I received, especially from
Ellen and Diego, attached is a designer mockup of what I think is the best
solution.

Include the LikeBack system to the Help menu, in the form of that action:
* Send a Comment to Developers
And, if needed, shortened to:
* Send a Comment
It will popup the attached dialog.
And people can check the bottom box to enable the buttons below each
window titlebar, like it is now.

Developers will be able to enable the "floatting buttons" by default (of
course, overridable by users).
The buttons will popup the attached window, with the right radio button
checked.
Documentation will state enabling the buttons by default is advised for
small applications and / or beta-versions, but not recommanded for big
applications to avoid too many noise to be sent.
This will not be the KDE default, unlike the test I will do will reveal
people do not find the "Send a Comment" dialog.

This also solves the issue of window-less applications like RSIBreak: they
will just have to plug the provided "Send a Comment" action into a popup
menu (the system-tray icon popup-menu for RSIBreak).

If it's OK, I will begin to code (somewhat) soon.

Concerning the integration with the "Report a Bug" current feature of the
Help menu, there are several posibilities, depending on the application:

1. Small application without bugs.kde.org account:
They will use the LikeBack feature and disable "Report a Bug".

2. Applications with bugs.kde.org account not wanting to manage
bugs/features in LikeBack:
They can:

2.1. Disable the Bug and Wish buttons: people will use LikeBack for
like/dislike comments and ReportABug for bug/wish comments.

2.2. Tell LikeBack to open the "Report a Bug" dialog whenever the "Bug" or
"Wish" floating icon is clicked, and selecting the right option in that
dialog.
With that solution, how to manage the fact that users clicked "Help ->
Send a Comment" and checked Bug or Wish?
Bugzilla need a subject, a severity, an email address, system information...
I see two solutions:

2.2.1. Transform the two Bug/Wish radiobuttons to buttons.
Clicking them will close the LikeBack dialog and open the ReportABug one,
copying all the informations to that dialog.

2.2.2. If a user click "Send Comment" for a Bug or Wish, then an
additionnal dialog is popuped up for she to include the additionnal
information (email, severity for a bug, a subject...) similarily to (but
replacing) the "Please Provide your E-Mail Address" dialog.

PS: Yes x.y.z lists are not easy to read but it's time to go to bed, I
wrote as I tought, and will quickly send the email at work without having
so much time checking if I'm not saying absuridties ;-)
After a very quick re-read of what I wrote, only 1., 2.1. and 2.2.2 are
great ideas. Others can be dismissed, I think :-)