KLocale to use nl_langinfo?

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Aug 16 20:31:51 BST 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 20:59, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimecres 16 Agost 2006 16:57, Nicolas Goutte va escriure:
> > On Tuesday 15 August 2006 14:36, Barış Metin wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > With a bug report I recognized that the default date format in KDE is
> > > wrong. Is there a particular reason for KLocale not to use nl_langinfo
> > > and hard-code default values?
> >
> > The values depend on the country setting. KDE has chosen to use its own
> > country settings. If it is not correct for country in KDE please fix it
> > (or ask how to fix it).
>
> Agree
>
> > > From kdecore/klocale.cpp:
> > >   readConfigEntry("TimeFormat", "%H:%M:%S", m_timeFormat);
> > >   readConfigEntry("DateFormat", "%A %d %B %Y", m_dateFormat);
> > >   readConfigEntry("DateFormatShort", "%Y-%m-%d", m_dateFormatShort);
> >
> > What would be wrong as default? The first and last one are the ISO
> > date/time format.
>
> Although we have decided to have own our country settings isn't more
> sensible to default to system locale that to C locale?

Well, I fail to see for which specific case we should add that code.

Most of the users will have a $LC_ALL or $LANG defined with a country and so
KDE would override anyway the default settings.

Especially I do not understand what is so important that this should be
changed for KDE 3.5.

(And as the bug number was not told, it is difficult to check.)

> Albert
>
> > > regards,
> >
> > Have a nice day!
Have a nice day!