Proposal for a new class: KToolTip

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Aug 16 15:14:37 BST 2006

Hello,
A proposal:
Customizing contents of QToolTip was not possible in Qt3, what lead to
multiple implementations based on QFrame with WStyle_Tool style, e.g.:

kdebase/libkonq/konq_filetip.cc

In fact I implemnted another one (for displaying a zoom for QVariant database
data in Kexi) and who knows how many other implementations
exist.

Even by displaying Qt HTML content via QToolTip::showText() in Qt4 can be not
enough and it will be impossible to style. Instead, a common class could be
developed for kdeui with a few utility methods.
One of them can be to displaying an icon + description like in konq_filetip.cc
(using a Qt HTML), other could be to display a preview of a larger multiline
text. Finally a paint event can be used to reimplement the display for other
cases.

Sometimes, an option displaying some sort of arrow is usable, like here:
http://kexi-project.org/pics/1.1/date_validator.png

A be benefit from reusing this code could be that for typical cases the
tooltip looks always the same. Optional thing would be styling using (yes, all
the fancy effects that Kicker has in kde3 and so people/artists proposed e.g.
on KDE-look.org).

I can add the stuff to the kdeui TODO list, and later can add an initial stuff
based on my code, konq_filetip.cc code and what whatever people people point
too in the meantime.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek