Commandline tools (was Re: kabcclient in kdereview)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Aug 14 22:20:57 BST 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 22:12, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 03:49:00PM -0400, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Someone was asking on #kontact today about just such as tool as
> > kabcclient.  Any objections to importing kabcclient into kdepim
> > trunk?

No objection from me.
Seems I have an escuse now to start KDE4 development

> > How about if we create a new subdir called console and put
> > konsolekalendar and kabcclient in there.  And then we might be
> > more likely to share some code.  Plus, we eventually could put
> > konsoletodo and konsolejournal under kdepim/console.
>
> for selfish reasons, i think that's a great idea.
>
> also wasn't that one main piece of feedback from the isv's at
> that meeting in portland?

The Portland task for addressbook access is not very detailed, though I think
kabcclient could handle it in any case :)

> can the the konsole apps be structured so they depend only on
> qt-core?  for example, will akondi rely on anything above qtcore?
> from qtcore, it's probably a small step to qtembedded.  ;)

:)

Sounds like a good idea.

IMHO we should make our shell access tools more consistent, ideally finding a
set of recommendations which can be applied to commandline-only tools in the
core modules as well.

Some ideas:
- unless an indivual name is very descriptive (for example like
konsolekalendar) it should be prefixed with kde4, maybe having a second name
part according to the module, e.g. kde4-io-client (instead if kfmclient),
maybe using kde4-io-copy/move/trash as convenience shortcuts

- if it understand more than one command, it should have the suffix "-client"

- if it is such a "client", it should have an option to list all available
commands

- it should have a man page (its similar to requiring API dox for libraries)

What do you think?

Cheers,
Kevin

--