Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Aug 10 23:43:44 BST 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 17:56, Laurent Montel wrote:
> On Thursday 10 August 2006 22:32, Richard Moore wrote:
> > How about we stick with our past policy and name the release Krash?
> > After all, this is little more than a broken kde 3 ported to Qt 4 -
> > much the same state as previous krash releases.
> >
> > Rich.
>
> For me I think that it's necessary now (after 1 year of work) to release a
> first snapshot (which is not a alpha release/beta release), to show at all
> kde developper that it's possible to develop new application on new kde4 api.
>
> We cleaned up a lot kdelibs, added new feature (dbus) added new build system.
>
> And I think that for kde4 we must have a lot of applications ported to
> kde4/qt4, and it's not possible if there is not a first release of kde4 ( a
> real snapshot and not trunk).
>
> It's right for the moment there is a lot of bugs/crashs/layout problem, but
> it's just a snapshot.
> But it's possible to launch a kde4 session.
>

> For this release it will very important to say that it's just a snapshot.

How about if we let the Marketing WG figure out a way to word things
for the snapshot announcement?  I know they are quite busy, but this
is sorta important.

First impressions mean something.

I also think the MWG should give some guidance about codenames and the like.

Really, we need a coordinated marketing effort here, I think.

--
KDE: Same Thing We Do Everyday... Try to Conquer the World