Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Aug 10 18:43:02 BST 2006

Le jeudi 10 août 2006 17:53, Ingo Klöcker a écrit :
> Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2006 17:24 schrieb Dirk Mueller:

> > We could name it KDE 3.69  instead of KDE 4  snapshot 1 to avoid that
> > people misinterpret it as "KDE 4 is released!". Would that address
> > your concerns?
>
> Please don't call it anything with a leading 3. Why don't we just call
> it KDE 4 snapshot-20060814?

So we can't call it with a leading 3
But we also can't call it with a 4 or user will think it's a preview of kde4
(which we dont want, or people will think that kde4 will be just the same of
kde3 but with so much new bug that it doesn't works)

What about giving a codename ?
Like MS did with "Loghorn"

Also, this is not really the whole KDE, but just a part (kdelibs + base) so
it's only the core of KDE which will be in that snapshot.

Who do we target with that snapshot ?
As i understand it, it's just a pretext to announce to developers they should
start porting their application.

> > I've been long enough around to know how we fell into the KDE 2.0 trap.
> > Lets not do that again.

What was the KDE 2.0 trap ?