Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Thu Aug 10 14:36:22 BST 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 15:32, Jaison Lee wrote:
> The only downside I still see is the potential for misconceptions
> about what this snapshot represents. I fear articles on blogs and news
> websites saying "KDE4 Released!" and people compiling apps in kdeutils
> or kdegames against the snapshot and expecting them to be usable, when
> they probably will not be. How many emails do we get from people right
> now complaining that something in trunk won't compile or crashes, as
> if this was news to someone? I think Thiago has his "It's just broken;
> feel free to fix it." response macro'd up by now.  :) I fear a
> snapshot now will increase this misinformation about the state of
> things.
The same will happen if we don't release snapshots, just then the titles will
be "KDE 4 is vaporware...".

I think doing snapshots is a good idea, already now you can at least get some
hints from it how the kdelibs evolve. It's far better to do some snapshots to
have external app devs looking at them instead of dumping some Alpha out in a
year with a complete new API......

cu
Christoph