KDE4: Home folder files deleted

Richard Lärkäng nouseforaname at home.se
Wed Aug 9 01:03:47 BST 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 18:51, Matthias Lechner wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thank you for answer, but it's too late. The files really didn't get
> deleted but have been just moved into my trash can :-) Unfortunatelly I
> downloaded and compiled the whole stuff again. I will take a look at this
> and will try to track it down.
>
> I think this bug is not a "happy welcome" to new kde4 developers ;-)
>
> Best regards
> Matthias

I think the problem is in kdebase/runtime/kioslave/trash/trashimpl.cpp in
migrateOldTrash().

There it moves the contents of g.readPathEntry( "Trash" ) to the new trash.
But the default setting for Paths/Trash is gone from KGlobalSettings, so the
setting will be an empty string. And then it will move the home directory to
trash because QDir(QString::null).entryList() returns the contents of the
home directory.

Not so sure what the correct solution is but it at least looks like that would
be the cause.

/Richard Lärkäng