Something for Solid ? Was: Application maintainerships

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Aug 8 21:22:39 BST 2006

Le mardi 8 août 2006 18:28, Alexander Neundorf a écrit :
> Do mtools work on these unices ? And can't they mount VFAT floppies ? I
> don't know.
> If mtools are really still required, I'll have a look at the floppy-ioslave
> again.

Very good questions... Actually I assumed that *BSD (at least FreeBSD) were
able to mount VFAT volumes and floppies. Could we have more information on
this? I really find it weird that those systems still can't handle vfat
floppies natively...

> Or is this really a task for Solid ? Kevin ?

Well, we're really able to handle anything that can be mounted. And honestly,
using mtools to access some volumes wasn't really on my plans... That said,
we could maybe solve the problem at the ioslave level (which will probably
use the solid libs, that's the plan for media:/ for example). It looks like a
better layer than in the solid libs themselves (which do only the detection
work). The major problem I foresee is how do we map /dev/foo to X:, in
particular in a dynamic environment with USB disks... AFAIK mtools is not
able to handle anything like this since it uses a fixed setup
(in /etc/mtools.conf).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."