Application maintainerships

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 23:12:55 BST 2006

> And I am positive that nobody would mind that new maintainer making up a
> name thats actually pronouncable, descriptive and does not necessarily
> start with a K :)

Agreed, apologies for the O/T comment but...

I used to be agnostic about the K-naming-prefix thing, until I moved
to Ubuntu Dapper and had both GNOME and KDE desktops installed.

Finding programs in the gnome menu was a noticeably quicker than
finding the KDE equivalents because of the K-naming scheme.  Selecting
the "Description (Name)" layout option doesn't help because different
apps will often have the same generic descriptions, and multi-word
descriptions take longer to parse and interpret that a single-word
well-chosen name.

Aesthetically speaking, it is ugly and is guaranteed to make most
words harder to pronounce as well.