KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 2 08:22:01 BST 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 00:50, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 23:02, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I have a different proposal: How about making sure that the latest
> > version of xdg-utils available around the time of KDE4 release works with
> > KDE4? Works without applying a crystal ball and seems much simpler.
> >
> >  Seriously. The xdg-utils README is pretty explicit about preferring the
> > system version of xdg-utils, so the solution can be even something like
> > KDE4 shipping the latest version of xdg-utils that indeed works with KDE4
> > and making it available in $PATH. Apps using xdg-utils properly will work
> > with KDE4 and the rest ... well, why bother?
>
> I guess that there could be a conflict if a distribution installs the
> xdg-utils version as required by the next LSB standard as the system
> version. It can then not allow KDE4 to overwrite it (unless it is
> guaranteed that it is fully compatible)

 I don't see a problem there:
- There's no overwriting unless the distro installs KDE4 in /usr, in which
case it supports KDE4 and it can as well install the latest xdg-utils with
KDE4 support, so no problem here.
- If KDE4 is somewhere else, then still the distro can install the latest
xdg-utils and there's no problem, or, if the distro doesn't do that, KDE4 can
have its own copy of xdg-utils in some other location that'll be also in
$PATH. The KDE4's version could even only handle its own case and forward the
rest to the next-in-PATH version if needed for some reason.

 There's no need to make xdg-utils future-proof, it already is.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org