KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Aug 1 22:02:50 BST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 04:53, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In about two weeks I hope to release the first stable version of xdg-utils
> (1.0) [1]. It has been tested [2] with several versions of KDE 3 but it has
> not been tested with KDE 4. That's because KDE 4 hasn't been released yet
> :-)
>
> It would be nice if this first version of xdg-utils would be able to work
> out of the box with KDE 4. Since KDE 4 is breaking compatibility in various
> places that is unlikely to happen by itself. (E.g. xdg-utils uses
> kde-config to detect whether KDE is installed and kde-config is called
> kde4-config in KDE4.)
>
> I would like to ask for a volunteer to do two things
> 1) make sure that xdg-utils 1.0 works with KDE 4
> 2) make sure that KDE 4 doesn't change in a way that breaks xdg-utils 1.0
> :-)

 I have a different proposal: How about making sure that the latest version of
xdg-utils available around the time of KDE4 release works with KDE4? Works
without applying a crystal ball and seems much simpler.

 Seriously. The xdg-utils README is pretty explicit about preferring the
system version of xdg-utils, so the solution can be even something like KDE4
shipping the latest version of xdg-utils that indeed works with KDE4 and
making it available in $PATH. Apps using xdg-utils properly will work with
KDE4 and the rest ... well, why bother?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer