KDE4: Making xdg-utils future-proof

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Aug 1 04:44:23 BST 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 09:30, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 04:53, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In about two weeks I hope to release the first stable version of
> > xdg-utils (1.0) [1]. It has been tested [2] with several versions of KDE
> > 3 but it has not been tested with KDE 4. That's because KDE 4 hasn't been
> > released yet
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > It would be nice if this first version of xdg-utils would be able to work
> > out of the box with KDE 4. Since KDE 4 is breaking compatibility in
> > various places that is unlikely to happen by itself. (E.g. xdg-utils uses
> > kde-config to detect whether KDE is installed and kde-config is called
> > kde4-config in KDE4.)
> >
> > I would like to ask for a volunteer to do two things
> > 1) make sure that xdg-utils 1.0 works with KDE 4
>
> I think this is not going to be possible, xdg-utils will need different
> code paths for KDE4

Different code paths are ok. It's just that those code paths should go in
before we release 1.0. That way applications that start using xdg-utils will
work with KDE4 from day one.

> > 2) make sure that KDE 4 doesn't change in a way that breaks xdg-utils 1.0
> >
> > :-)
>
> I thought about it and IMHO the best option is to make sure that KDE4 is
> not detected as KDE3. Since we currently "detect" KDE by checking if
> KDE_FULL_SESSION is true, for example by setting KDE_FULL_SESSION to "kde4"

Yes, something like that. It's not really hard it just needs someone with a
KDE4 build and someone who watches out that if we chose "kde4" now, it isn't
changed to "KDE4" a week before KDE4 is released. (Or something equally
silly)

For those who are interested, the second beta is available from
http://portland.freedesktop.org/download/xdg-utils-1.0beta2.tgz
and includes a test suite. No compiling required :-)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation