FEATURE: Startup sequence reorder

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 25 14:32:27 BST 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 13:58, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Sunday 23 April 2006 22:38, David Faure wrote:
> > >  Pros: Startup may be really borken if people try without matching
> > > kdelibs and kdebase (hello Debian), something may potentially start a
> > > bit too late.
> >
> > Yep. Startup was completely broken when I installed kdelibs and didn't
> > install kdebase yet. You had warned about that, but my machine locked up
> > while compiling kdebase and after a reboot I couldn't start kde anymore
> > so I had to finish compiling kdebase in the text tty before being able to
> > start kde again.... I guess there's no chance to make this more robust,
> > i.e. to make kde still start, although still slowly, in case only kdelibs
> > is updated?
>
>  Well, the startup-related code is more or less rewritten (rearranged
> rather), so I guess I'd have to keep separate paths for both cases. On the
> other hand the kdelibs part of the part is quite small, so I could try
> supporting kdelibs-3.5.3+kdebase-3.5.2 (which should be the more sensible
> case anyway).

 Ok, wasn't that difficult, kdeinit, kded and klauncher take --new-startup,
which makes them execute either the old or new code path (well-visible in the
nowhitespace version of the patch). I simply ignored i18n() for the added
KCmdLineArg's as they're internal anyway. New kdebase obviously will require
new kdelibs. Okay now?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer