[KDE4] KNotification

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 17:12:22 BST 2005

Le Samedi 17 Septembre 2005 14:16, Gary Cramblitt a écrit :
> On Friday 16 September 2005 07:46 pm, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Le Samedi 17 Septembre 2005 01:11, Gary Cramblitt a écrit :
> > > BTW, the freedesktop.org spec you reference already calls for a
> > > notification "server", so KNotify doesn't really go away?
> >
> > Yes, but it will only handle passive popups.
>
> I'd like to know the reasons for wanting to get rid of the KNotify daemon.
> I understand that you want to add widgets to notification dialogs so that
> apps can receive feedback, but why couldn't this be done by extending the
> existing API?  A dcop message from KNotify back to the app comes to mind.

There is in fact two things:
 1)  the ability for the application to keep a track of the event (add action,
and allow to say when it closes)
 2)  use beatifull popup, even when running in Gnome.

the #1 can be done with,  or without a daemon.  yes, it is possible to extand
the dcop/dbus  API to allow that.

It's because of the #2 anyway, that I want to change the daemon.
The freedesktop specification (i don't know if it has already been accepted by
freedesktop) say that there will be a daemon that will display popups.
And the notification only cover popups.

So every others powerfull features of knotify (run a command, log to a file,
do a dcop call, blink taskbar, ....)  must be moved away.

Yes, we could have two daemon, but that will be a bit too much i think.
I think it is better to put that in the client library.

But if you have a good reason to make two daemon (one for the popup, and one
for the rest, let's go for it.)
Maybe the fact that application that use knotification must be linked to
kdemm ?
(remember, if we have two daemon, that all the content of the popup need to be
passed around for every notification, no matter if the popup is displayed or
not.  (that contains images))