[RFC] Second take for "messages" targets

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 12:47:43 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 15. September 2005 19:24 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:

> We would probably also need a FORCEPOTFILE (replacing POTFILE)
> for playing with cross-module naming of the POT file, like done in kdebase for
> defining a POT file in kdelibs' PO  directory.

Hmm, I think you're overdesigning a bit here. I think, requiring sh (or
python later) for the complicated cases is not asked too much for such a simple
task (and sh is really the best suited language for things calling external commands
and file globbings a lot).

We just need to define the _really_ simple cases somewhere. But for most
it's really just the name of the potfile and that can very well be parsed ou t of
a Makefile.am/SConstruct file - no need for a special file.

And having a SConstruct file per POT file isn't asked too much either. So you would
either have a comment or a dummy function call to trigger on. E.g.
env.PrepareMessages('kpat.pot') or env.PrepareMessages('konqueror.pot', 'messages.sh')

then we could add a "scons package-messages" easily.

Greetings, Stephan