Replacing KTempFile with QTemporarFile

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Sep 4 12:16:57 BST 2005

On Sunday 04 September 2005 14:09, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> The new QTemporaryFile in class seems a good replacement to
> KTempFile, but with the problem that it uses QDir::tempPath() as path
> to create the temp file so it can not be used to create files like
> KTempFile does in $KDEHOME/tmp-$HOST/appname/

Speaking of tempfiles, I have an idea for KDE4, which I'm actually use
already in Quanta.Some applications create temporary files whose names
are user visible. Even if they set some name for the files it's still
ugly as it looks like:
quantaSOMERANDOMSTRING.extension

where SOMERANDOMSTRING is very ugly. So instead of that I create a
temporary directory (with a random name) and a file inside which has
the name and the extension exactly how I want.
 What would you think about having this in the libraries? For example it
could be used when opening a file from an external site from Konqueror
when the opening app does not support KIO (so the file is first
downloaded).

Yes, this means to keep and extend KTempFile.

Andras