[RFC] Possible KView Maintainership

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Oct 26 03:33:09 BST 2005

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Monday 24 October 2005 18:06, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> David Faure wrote:

>>> Doesn't make sense. 3.4 is even more frozen than 3.5 - it's so
>>> frozen that it's dead :) There won't be more releases of
>>> KDE-3.4.x, so it makes no sense to work on kview there. Do
>>> bugfixing in 3.5 branch, and new developments in trunk.
>>
>> In the general case, what you say is true.  However, as NG
>> correctly points out, fixing the UI issues (bugs) will require
>> modification to the documentation and there is currently a
>> pre-release freeze on documentation.
>

> No, the documentation freeze is not for pre-release. It will last for
> the complete KDE 3.5 branch (as it is for all preceding branches,
> including KDE 3.4.)

This presents a very interesting problem that perhaps has not been
considered before.  Clearly, if the menus to not conform to the current
UI Guidelines, this is a bug.  But, the documentation documents the
menus as they currently exist.  The bugs should not be fixed without
changing the documentation and the documentation is frozen.

I do not offer a solution to this situation.

>> Since KView has not been maintained, the code in 3.4 BRANCH and 3.5
>> BRANCH is identical.  And, there is NO KDE-3 TRUNK anymore, and no
>> new development except feature adjustments is contemplated.  As
>> soon as KDE-3.5.0 is released, bug fixes would be moved to the 3.5
>> BRANCH.
>

> Then please, if (for a reason that I quite do not understand), you do
> not want to fix bugs now in KDE 3.5,

Didn't say that.  I would like to see my bug fixes for KView be included
in the 3.5.0 release but you pointed out that I couldn't do that because
I would need to change the documentation to reflect the bug fixes.  So,
I can't do it.

> then you should better make a copy of branches/KDE/3.5/kdegraphics
> (or parts of it) to a new directory in branches/work and work there.
> Only when the changes will be in the KDE 3.5 branch, then you can
> think about backporting them to KDE 3.4, if you find it useful.

If the exact same changes are to be made to the KDE 3.4 BRANCH and the
KDE 3.5 BRANCH, does it matter which is done first?

But, you correctly suggest that KView development work would probably be
better done somewhere other than in the 3.4 or 3.5 branches.  So, yes, I
  will put a copy of KView there to work on it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

--
JRT